Monday, 25 September 2017

Man United boss Jose Mourinho escapes FA ban for sending off - source

MANCHESTER -- Jose Mourinho will not face further FA sanctions after being sent off during Manchester United's 1-0 win over Southampton on Saturday. The United manager was sent to the stands by referee Craig Pawson in the closing stages at St Mary's after being alerted by fourth official Mike Jones that he had encroached onto the pitch. Mourinho had been trying to reorganise his team as Southampton mounted an attack and briefly stepped over the touchline. However, a source confirmed to ESPN FC that the FA has decided Mourinho will face no further punishment. Former United midfielder and club ambassador Bryan Robson said in response to the incident it would have been "a disgrace" if the FA had decided to issue a fine or a ban for something he branded "a joke." "When I saw it on TV, I thought it was an absolute joke," he told the club's official website. "I'll be amazed if he gets a ban or a fine for that. I think the officials went way overboard by sending him to the stand. "I don't know what the officials are thinking about. Throughout the last year or so, I've seen managers like [Jurgen] Klopp and [Antonio] Conte run about like lunatics, out of their box, down the side of the pitch and not a thing has been made of it -- it's called passion for the team. "But because Mourinho stepped just over the touchline, they sent him to the stands. "It'll be a disgrace if he gets fined or banned and made to watch games from the stands over the coming weeks." Mourinho said after the game he did not know why he had been told to leave the touchline by Pawson but did admit to accidentally bumping into fourth official Jones. "I don't know," Mourinho said. "Craig told me to leave and I left. I don't know. He told me to leave, I left."

Be the first to Comment on this post
EmoticonEmoticon